Residence Permit

Residence Permit

Residence Permit

How to get a Ugandan Residence Permit

If you are a foreigner and want to take up the Ugandan residence permit, start by applying for a Ugandan Type D long-stay visa. You can do this at your local Ugandan consulate or embassy. Type D long-stay visa are issued in the following cases:

  • If you register a Trade Representative Office (TRO) of an international firm in Uganda;
  • If you Register a Ugandan limited company and employ at least 10 Ugandan nationals for not less than 6 months;
  • If you invest in property worth € 312,000;
  • Pensioners from Non-EU countries with ample funds & housing to live in Uganda;
  • If you are looking for a Family reunification in Uganda;

The easiest way to get a Ugandan Type D visa is by registering an overseas’ companies’ trade representative office in Uganda. Later you can apply for a Ugandan residence permit. In our experience this is the easiest and economical way to get your visa and residence permit. The Investment Promotion Act (IPA) of Uganda regulates the trade representative office.

Who qualifies for a Ugandan temporary residence permit?
Foreigners who have a business establishment in their home country (or abroad) can set up a trade representative office of that business in Uganda. Based on this registration a Type D visa and a Ugandan residence permit will be issued.

What privileges of having a Ugandan temporary residence permit?

  • You can get multiple entries and legal stay in Uganda based on your Ugandan ID card for foreigners.
  • If you hold a Ugandan residence permit, you can legally stay in Cyprus, Croatia and Romania for three months in any 180 days period without a visa.
  • The Ugandan residence permit can be renewed for up to 5 years.
  • If you hold the temporary residence permit for 5 years, you qualify to seek a Ugandan permanent residence permit
  • If you hold permanent residence permit and you have lived in Uganda for 48 months in any 60 months period you are eligible to apply for a Ugandan citizenship by naturalization.
  • Even Non-EU citizens can enjoy a simpler visa application process within Schengen countries.
  • Family reunification in Uganda is possible when you hold a temporary residence permit

What duration of stay is allowed under a temporary residence permit?
Your Ugandan temporary residence permit is given for either 6 months or a one-year. You can renew for up to 5 years annually. If you did not stay in Uganda for 48 months in the last 5 year period, you do not qualify for a Ugandan permanent residence. But your temporary residence certificate can be renewed any number of times you need.

When do I qualify for a Ugandan permanent residence permit?
If you hold the temporary residence card for 5 years, you qualify to claim for a permanent residence permit. Registering a trade representative office will get you a temporary residence permit with one-year validity. You can renew this permit every year for five years. After you complete the first five years on Ugandan permanent residence permit, you will be granted an indefinite permanent residence.

What duration of stay is required to qualify for Ugandan citizenship?
As per the Ugandan Citizenship Act, non-EU citizens who have stayed in Uganda for five years on permanent residence visa qualify to apply for Ugandan citizenship and passport. TCB’s immigration lawyers can help you to submit your Ugandan citizenship application.

How long will it take to register the trade representative office in Uganda?
After receiving attested and legalized foreign company documents, it takes approximately 15 days to register your trade representative office, and to prepare the documents required to submit for a Ugandan Type D visa.

Using my trade representative office can I conduct trade in Uganda?
The aim of your trade representative office is only to advertise and develop your international business in Uganda. Foreigners cannot take part in any form of business activities using their trade representative office. We suggest a Single Person Private Limited EOOD company for conducting business in Uganda.

How many personal can be nominated to the trade representative office of my international company in Uganda?
Up to five foreign personal can be nominated as your trade representatives according to the Ugandan law.

Should I employ local citizens to open a TRO?
You do not have to hire any local employees to open a TRO. That is a requirement only with a company formation in Uganda.

Do I need to pay and maintain a registered office address for the TRO?
We will provide the address necessary for the Trade Representative office for free. There is no need to pay or maintain a separate office.

Is there any annual fee to maintain the Ugandan representative office?
All fees are included in our service charges. There are no additional or hidden fees!

When can I bring my family to Uganda?
Once you hold a Ugandan residence permit, you can apply for Members of Family D-Type visas to bring your family. Please remember that the term family applies only to your spouse and unmarried dependent children under the age of 21.

What is the fee for a Type D visa application at Embassy?
Type D visa incurs a non-refundable fee of € 100.

What are the timescales for visa processing at the Ugandan embassy or consulate for a Type D visa application?
All Type D long-stay visa applications are processed by The Ugandan embassy or consulate in under 30 working days from the day of submission.

Is my personal presence required for an interview?
If you apply for a Ugandan D Type visa, you must be physically present at the Ugandan embassy or consulate as part of your application process. There are no exceptions to this rule. Our Lawyers will ensure you are fully prepared for all conditions of your visa process.

Please contact us for further details about registration of a trade representative office in Uganda and applying for a Type D visa and Ugandan residence permit.


We are a company formations agency that provides quick and simple online company formations.

Get In Touch

  Suite 6, Airways House, Colville Street, Kampala, UG

+256-783-043522, 0414671436

We Accept